Monday, March 5, 2012

Trucks and old cars in my neighborhood.

This is a heavy-duty half-ton' model 3100 w/ 216 C.I.D. inline, splasher oiled six motor, 16" 6-lug wheels w/ 6.5x16 bias ply tires

This truck was under a tarp, and I passed it every day hoping to see someone outside.  Finally I just knocked on the door of the house it was parked beside.  The owner is Mark Montgomery.   We both removed the tarp and had a great discussion about his truck as we watched the lighting get to this point.
   
Mark sent me the following e-mail story of his truck:
     I am the old blue truck.  I was built in the Oakland, California General Motors plant in 1951, shortly after they resumed manufacture of civilian vehicles after World War II.
      Purchased, along with four identical sisters, we went to work for the then fledgling Cupertino Electric Co. as the work vehicles for their 5 foremen and did 10 hard years on the job before being stored in one of their storage sheds where we seldom saw the light of day.
      After about twenty years in storage we were resurrected and given to our original foreman/drivers upon their retirement from the company.  I moved up to a small farm property outside of Placerville, California with my owner and did general chores and mule duty for about the next twenty years and haven’t been driven on the roads in all that time.
      When Ernie, my owner, realized he was getting too old to drive me anymore I was offered to his son-in-law Mark who had expressed interest in me over the years.  Mark was glad to have me and had me trucked out here to Austin, Texas where I’m hoping he’ll fix up some of my old aches & pains and we’ll soon be prowling the streets and byways together.

Mark

This is a truck that I photographed, then as I was putting an 8x10 print with my card on the windshield, the owner came out and I met him.  His name is Brodie Beard and his daughter is Ann Marie.  Ann Marie drove this truck through High School.  This truck sits here every day and greets me as I turn the corner and bike down this street.

Ann Marie sent me this photograph of her when she was in High School driving the truck.