Saturday, December 29, 2012

American Craft Council Dewey Decimal card challenge.

The challenge was given by American Craft Council .   Make something out of old Dewey Decimal cards from their library.  I had to do it with just 25 cards.  Challenge accepted!  

I chose to use the cards as movable blinds.  to hold the cards, I riveted small clamps onto a piece from an old recessed lighting system.
     My concept was to make a library lamp using inspiration from a lava lamp and deco design.  
    The top cone is rounded with a strip of hanging strings used to diffuse the bulb.  This lamp makes a gorgeous pattern of light on the surrounding area.  The entire piece is made from recycled parts.
     I have to admit, this was a difficult challenge.  I was only given 25 of the cards and I had to come up with a good way of showcasing them.
     I really didn't want to use old ideas, I wanted to make something completely different.  I hit a garage sale in my neighborhood that had four of those graters and that middle stainless piece.  The idea had wings from there.  I
     I also lucked out in a shop on Congress St. that had the printing blocks that spell craft.  And in the right font!
My neighbor cleverly pointed out that the pattern of light was like an eye, complete with an eyelash.  Thanks Colette!

It's been a long time since you last saw a Dewey Decimal card, so here's one of the cards up close.
Click on any of the images to see a large picture.
  
 The pieces are held together with a lab stand and clamp rings. 

And here is what it looks like in my television room.   I can always tell when I've made a really great lamp by how easy it is to take a photograph of it.  The lamps I consider to be a success are the ones that I can photograph using only the light from the lamp, the quality of lighting from this lamp is astonishing.