Monday, March 18, 2013

Moontower Saloon Chandelier by Grover Sterling

Custom chandelier for Moontower Saloon in Austin.

     Another lofty challenge.  Create a chandelier / stage light for the greatest new band bar in Austin Tx., the  Moontower Saloon.  These were the challenges given to me.  It had to be 2' or under on the depth, and 6' in diameter.
     Texas is the Lone Star State, and we Texans do love our star, so I made a steel truss frame in the shape of a star.  I had to get my genius mathematician neighbor to do the calculations for me.  It takes crazy math to make 10 trusses, equal in length, to form a 6' star.  Thank you Andy!  He tried to explain it to me, but it was like trying to teach a potato to fart.  
     On each point of the star, I used laboratory clamps and rods to hover a globe made of old Pyrex IV bottles from WW2 surplus, over a 12" long bulb.  The filaments vibrate in a wave, and the wave is from the alternating current @87megahertz.  
     The bass drum is a Slingerland, and it was in the Fonville Middle school band (Houston Tx.) back in the 1950's.   The bass drum's skin is  a synthetic / skin, and when the light goes through it, it looks like the surface of the moon.

JT Coldfire thrashing his guitar under  our custom chandelier for Moontower Saloon.