Friday, September 23, 2011

Center for Puppetry Arts

Today I went to the Center For Puppetry Arts and was given the golden tour by Mrs Hilary Meredith, she is the membership manager there.  Hilary and I have been bumping into each other for many years now and we hang with a lot of the same crowd.  

The Center For Puppetry Arts is a real important slice of Atlanta's "must sees", especially if you have children.  But even if you don't, they feature shows and events that I have to say have entertained me quite a lot through the years.  During some of the events that I have been to, puppeteers walk around the parking lot and greet you with an improve puppet show through your open car window.  

If you live here and you haven't been to a show you are really missing out on a great thing.
This is a little chunk of Atlanta that I will genuinely miss.  And now with my camera, I snap these pictures to take with me to Austin.

This youngster was running around a pole while is mother was making inquires into this room as a  birthday party location.
This is Sir Didymus fro "Labyrinth",  he is one of the many puppets on display here.  The level of detail on these puppets are amazing.  There is a Jim Henson exhibit featuring many popular puppets from Sesame Street, including a real Big Bird body puppet.  I wasn't allowed to photograph those though, (sacred territory).  You'll have to go there yourself to see them.

I've always loved this exhibit, it reminds me of something you might see in a show in old England.






These puppets are from the puppet store room exhibit.  This area replicates a puppet storage room, where performance puppets are found covering walls, ceilings and floor. Eleven puppets in the storeroom move periodically (electronically) to demonstrate a basic element of puppetry - the animation of inanimate objects.


This is a picture of my Niece Sterling and I while visiting the puppet store room in 2006.  She had a blast.




Thank you Hilary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all of your comments.